«Iwerne Minster from the north east (Tower Hill) To protect, maintain and enhance the village environment, its surroundings and the quality of life ...»
Commercial The main commercial business in Iwerne Minster is the Talbot Inn public house located on the busy A350. Another example of the “estate” style its two storey gable fronted appearance with double height bays, oriel window, timber brackets, brick detailing and decorative chimneys all reflect the distinct mock-Tudor style. The black external timber framing contrasts with white painted render above ground floor brickwork, with a mix of Georgian paned vertical sashes and timber casements with decorative coloured glass clerestory lights above.
Within the village and located just off the A350 in the lane leading to The Chalk is the thriving local store and Post Office, which although not listed, has an attractive cottage appearance, featuring painted brick facade, clay tile with coped gables, painted exposed lintels and flush fitting timber casements. Its second floor attic dormer windows exhibit hipped pitched roofs, in keeping with the large rustic style timber framed verandah to its front elevation.
Similarly there is a renowned butchers shop located in The Chalk. Situated in part of a 17th century Grade II listed building its brick exterior, tiled roof, “swept dormers”, leaded casements are all in keeping with the character of the Conservation Area, although the lower courses of stone slates to the roof is a rare detail.
Heddle House also now a residential dwelling, dating from 19th century but previously this was occupied in part by the Child Okeford and Iwerne Minster Co-operative Stores. The combination of timber framing complete with herringbone brickwork and leaded lights is in the Arts and Crafts style. On the retail façade, interesting commercial fittings still remain, including the lamp and sign.
Finally there is a successful trout farm to the west of the village and Leopard Dairy on the edge of Home Farm, on Tower Hill.
Community Places of active worship in Iwerne Minster appear to be now limited to the Grade I listed St Mary’s Church, which on its raised site is a key landmark building. This is an exceptionally early structure dating from the 12th century and of considerable archaeological complexity with historic development continuing over many centuries.
The Abingdon Memorial Hall (Ebenezer Chapel) built in 1810, as a Baptist chapel, is situated on the edge of The Chalk. Today it is still known as Abingdon Hall and it serves as the parish hall for the village.
The previous Wesleyan Chapel located close to the shop in Post Office Road is now a residential dwelling. Despite its unlisted status the appearance of its symmetrical brick façade with contrasting coloured brick and stone dressings contributes positively to the streetscene and architectural and historic interest of the area.
There are also two pavilions in Iwerne Minster one on the Parish Field and the other at the cricket pitch that are well used by the local community.
5.2 Historic Buildings As mentioned previously Iwerne Minster is a village that enjoys a high proportion of listed buildings and within the settlement area there are some 64 in total, of which 57 are within the CA itself. The Listed Buildings are plotted on the Map 9. A full list of these can also be found in the appendix, but a number of the most notable buildings are numbered and listed below together with a brief description.
1. The Parish Church of St Mary’s dates from the 12th century with the present form based on Norman design with the Arcade, Nave, North Aisle and Transept all dating from this time together with the lower walls of the South Transept and Aisle. Built from local ashlar and flint quarried locally from the chalk escarpment the church has a mix of stone and tile roofs. The church has a banded wall on three sides also built from ashlar and flint and the West wall of the North Aisle has a small window that may date from an earlier Saxon building. The South porch dates from the 14th century, the clerestory above the Norman arcade is 16th century.
The East window was designed by Christopher Whitworth Whall and is one of the outstanding Arts & Crafts stained glass windows in England. The church has one of only three medieval ribbed towers in Dorset and dates from the 14th century although much refurbishment and a height reduction of 60 feet took place in the mid 19th century with a further 16 feet being removed in 1933. The chiming clock was made in Blandford in 1690.
2. Abingdon Memorial Hall (formerly the Baptist Chapel) is a single storey building with rendered walls and a tiled roof. Built in 1810 and enlarged in 1860, it originally contained a West End gallery constructed of wood panels resting on iron columns. The tiled roof and plain rendered exterior is subdivided into replicated bays by pilasters and features round headed windows, which reinforces its ecclesiastical character in contrast to the neighbouring buildings. Although single storey it is of substantial proportions and early extensions emphasise its original importance to the village and its historic value.
3. West Lodge is situated on the northern boundary of the parish and is based on an early 18th century building that was partly one and partly two storey building with cellars. It has early 19th century single storey wings to the S.W. and N.E. The site is believed from local maps to have had a building on it from 1618 and that it is one of the ancient lodges of Cranborne Chase. (This building is not shown on Map 7)
4. Peggs Farm in the north west of the parish is comprised of a farmhouse, cottage water mill and barn. The farmhouse dates from the beginning of the 18th century and the cottage was built slightly later in the same century. The mill was also constructed in the 18th century, but evidence suggests that the barn was probably built in 17th but rebuilt in the 18th. (This building is not shown on Map 7)
5. Preston House is located to the south west end of the village and dates from the 17th century. Built with ashlar and rubble walls it is two storeys in design with an attic.
It has been considerably altered in the 19th century from its original “L” –shape layout.
Iwerne Minster Village Design Statement Map 9 – Listed Buildings
6. The Chantry on Old School Lane is of a 3 storey building with attics and has walls of banded flint and ashlar with chamfered plinths, ashlar dressings and stone-slated roofs. The house dates from the first half of the 17th century and includes an original oak staircase although some additions were made to the property during the 18th century in the form of window enlargements on the west elevation and a chimney stack on the east gable that was replaced during the 20th century. The central chimney stack is original.
7. Bay House on Hobgoblin is a two storey building with attics and whilst not listed, is noteworthy. It dates largely from the 19th century and incorporates features from an earlier building on this site and is adjacent to the Chantry. The key feature is the upper storey of the west wing that on the north side has a gable with 15th century barge boards.
8. The Barn, also on Hobgoblin, has been converted into 3 dwellings. It has a tiled roof with rubble walls that probably date from the 16th and 17th centuries. It has ashlar buttresses of two stages with weathered offsets on the north west elevation.
9. Brookman’s Farm on Dunn’s Lane dates from the 18th century with 19th century additions. Originally a single storey thatched building with walls made of comprised rubble with a brick dressings it is now known as Brookmans Old Farm and has two floors.
10. Devine House on Church Road was previously the vicarage. A large two storey house with attics it is constructed of ashlar stonework with crow-stepped gables that are unusual for this village. With its stone mullioned and transomed windows it appears earlier than its 1836 construction date.
11. The current building that stands on the foundations of a house called Tilhayes was noted in the Domesday Book.
12. The Oak House was completed in 1921 by James Ismay as a club for the village.
Designed by M. H. Baillie Scott it is a classic example of the Arts and Crafts movement.
Other listed and older buildings of note are:- Applegarth Cottage, Barbers Cottage, Bowhay, Brook Cottage, Dipwell, Dwell Deep, Knapps Close (formerly the Butchers), The Tithe Barn at Home Farm, The War Office, The Pump, The War Memorial and Wetherby. This list is by no means exhaustive and there are many other buildings which are considered important and which contribute to the character and appearance of the village.
Iwerne Minster Village Design Statement
5.3 Building Height, Scale and Density The historic core of the village has an overall compact quality with properties both set back from the road behind front gardens and with concentrations of cottages abutting the lanes. These cottages are generally positioned with their ridgelines parallel to the street but they are also interspersed with individual buildings gable end on. Those dwellings that are set back from the lanes tend to be behind high walls, but again there are examples of properties with front gardens and lower boundary walls and fences.
There is a variation in height of the buildings from single storey cottages to more imposing three storey dwellings in the historic core of the village. Noticeable are the differences in storey height also helping to depict the date of construction and the difference between the lower floor to ceiling heights of the vernacular cottage compared with the more generous proportions of the more polite development during the 18th and particularly 19th centuries. In some cases properties are located on raised plots above road level, but there is a sense of continuity within the village, with the church remaining the dominant structure. The key three storey properties with
attics are listed below:
The Chantry; three storeys with attics.
Bay House; three storeys.
Clayesmore School; two storeys with basements and attics.
The Talbot Hotel; three storeys.
Devine House three storeys.
The Maltings, built 1997, three storey.
Knapps Close; three storeys The infill and edge of settlement developments of the mid 20th century are more uniform in their building heights with Oakwood Drive being comprised of 32 bungalows and chalet bungalows, The Glebe being comprised of 17 two storey houses and The Paddocks being comprised of 9 chalet style houses. All of these developments are set within spacious grounds with low densities, wide roads, pavements and green verges.
In the more recent developments the densities are higher and the layouts are varied from the terraced, semi detached and courtyard style of Home Farm where there are 31 properties for the over 55s with separate parking and garaging areas to the more compact courtyard and terraced developments of Ash Grove and Bramley Grove.
Overall the building height, scale and density of the Clayesmore School complex is in keeping with the historic estate. The more modern developments have been designed to suit their purpose and some have a more sympathetic relationship to the original buildings than others. The Manor House remains in its parkland setting and the more modern developments and original outbuildings are clustered along the eastern boundary adjacent to the road.
Clayesmore Sports Centre A more unsympathetic classroom block Iwerne Minster Village Design Statement
5.4 Building Details and Materials Walls A wide range of materials have been used in the construction of both large and small scale buildings in Iwerne Minster over time. Throughout the village there are a great number of red brick two storey cottages that were built by in the 1870’s to accommodate estate employees and their families. These have given the village a very distinctive character and appearance and feel that the local residents are keen to preserve.
Woodlands, an estate cottage, on Post Office Wetherby, Church Hill Road But throughout the historic core of the village there are a number of brick bonding styles and decorative details from herringbone infill to external timber framing, embellishments on chimney stacks to the use of blue header bonds and lighter brick for dressings that are important to the character. The listed building known as Wetherby on Church Hill is a particularly good example.
Timber framing is also a common feature within the village from the estate workers cottages (as seen on the photograph above) to the Talbot Inn on the A350 it is often painted black but in a few instances its appearance is of a much more subtle hue, in keeping with earlier practices.
There are a number of properties built in the local ashlar and flint and there are some older buildings that consist of a mixture of rubble, brick and ashlar dressing. Often gable ends and facades differ in their construction and it is not uncommon to see brick frontages with rubble stone side elevations, although the listed Dwell Deep on Watery Lane exhibits the reverse. Cob is also common and often appears painted.
A more modern development that successfully integrates this traditional cottage style with a more contemporary design is the rural exception site on Tower Hill. Here, rather than attempting to replicate the 19th century flint banding and brickwork, the materials used acknowledge the local vernacular but they have not been used in the usual form. Flush timber boarding to parts of the elevations adds a more modern feel to what are otherwise relatively traditional styled houses.
Milesfield, Tower Hill – A rural exception development on the edge of the village On a grander scale and approximately 175m south-east of Clayesmore School is the Grade II Stable-court, now the school laboratories and dormitories, erected in 1880 and again designed by Alfred Waterhouse for Lord Wolverton it too is of brick construction with some timber-framing in the clock-tower. This picturesque High Victorian single storey building has attics and an irregular fenestration.
Clayesmore Stable Block