«DOCUMENT RESUME ED 278 089 EA 019 067 AUTHOR McCune, Shirley D. TITLE Guide to Strategic Planning for Educators. INSTITUTION Association for ...»
11. Robert R. Carkhuff, Human Processing and Human Productivity (Amherst: Human Resource Development Fress, 1986), 143.
12. National Research Council of the National Academy of Sciences, Outlook for Science and Technology: The Next Five Years (San Francisco- W. H. Freeman and Company, 1982), 1.
13. Ibid., 3.
14. University of Michigan, Center for Human Growth and Development, 1984.
15. United Way of America, What Lies Ahead-A Mid-Decade View: An Environmental Scan Report (Alexandria, V a.: United Way of America, 1985), 24.
16. Ibid., 24.
17. Mark Tucker, A Nation Prepared: Teachers for the 21st Century (Carnegie Forum on Education and the Economy, Task Force on Teaching as a Profession, May 1986).
18. United Way of America, What Lies Ahead, 26.
19. U.S. Bureau of the Census (Washington D.C.: U.S. Department of Cornmerce, 1980).
20. United Way of America, What Lies Ahead, 34-35.
21. Ibid., 34.
24. Ibid. 4-35.
GUIDE TO STRATEGIC PLANNING FOR EDUCATO:
25. Harold Hodgkinson, All In One System: Demographics of Education Kindergarten Through Graduate School (Washington, D.C.: Institute for Educational Leadership, June 1985), 13.
26. David Pearce Snyder, "Demouaphic, Economic and Social Trends,The Patterns in Our Social Fabric Are Changing: Here They Come, Ready or Not," Education Week, 14 May 1986, 16.
29. Harold Hodgkinson, All In One System, 16.
30. Education Week, "Patterns in Our Social Fabric."
31. Ibid., 18.
32. Ibid., 16.
33. Education Commission of the States, Reconnecting Youth: The Next Stage of Reform (Denver: Education Commission of the States, October 1985).
34. Education Week, "Patterns in Our Social Fabric," 22.
35. Ibid., 24.
36. Ibid., 22.
37. Lenore Wertzman, Divorce Revolution: The Unintended Consequences for Women and Children (New York: Macmillan, 1985).
38. Harold Hodgkinson, All in One System, 3.
39. Education Week, "Patterns in Our Social Fabric," 22.
42. U.S. Bureau of the Census, Social Indicators III (Washington, D.C.: U.S.
Department of Commerce, 1980).
43. Education Week, "Patterns in Our Social Fabric," 25.
44. Andrew Stein, "Children of Poverty: Crisis in New York, New York Times Magazine, 8 June 1986,
45. Education Week, "Patterns in Our Social Fabric," 27.
46. U.S. Bureau of the Census as reported in Education Week, "Patterns in Our Social Fabric," 27.
47. David Weikart et al., Changed Lives (Ypsilanti, Mich.: High/Scope Educational Research Foundation, 1984).
48. Karl L. Alexander and Aaron M. Pallas, An Evaluation of the "New Basics" (Baltimore: Center for Social Organization of Schools, The Johns Hopkins University, 1983).
49. Edward L. McDill, Gary Natriello, and Aaron M. Pallas, Raising Standards and Retaining Students: The Impact of the Reform Recommendations on Potential Dropouts (Baltimore: Center for Social Organization of Schools, The Johns Hopkins University, 1985).
50. Thomas J. Peters and Robert H. Waterman, Jr., In Search of Excellence (Cambridge: Harper and Row, 1982), 318-325.
51. Rosabeth Kanter, The Change Masters (New York: Siluon and Schuster, 1983), 28-30.
52. Peters and Waterman, In Search of Excellence.
53. James Murphy and Phillip Hallinger, "The Superintendent as Instructional Leader: Findings from Effective School Districts'. (paper presented at American Educational Research Association meeting, San Francisco, April 1986).
54. James MacGmgor Burns, Leadership (New York: Harper and Row, 1978).
55. Framework developed by Shirley D. McCune. Examples of characteristics from informal paper developed by Harold Hcdgkinson.
BIBLIOGRAPHYAlbert, Kenneth, ed. The Strategic Management Handbook, New York: McGrawHill, 1983.
Arthur Andersen & Company. "Guide to Public Sector Strategic Planning."
Chicago-World Headquarters, 69 W. Washington, Chicago, IL 60602.
Brandt, Steven. Strategic Planning in Emerging Companies. Reading, Pa.:
Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1984.
Buhler-Miko, Marina. A Trustee's Guide to Strategic Planning. Higher Education Strate0c Planning Institute, One Dupont Circle, Washington, DC 20036, 1985.
Cooper, Harry. Strategic Planning in Education: A Guide for Polieymakers.
Alexandria, Va.: National Association of State Boards of Education, 1985.
Cope, Robert. "A Contextual Model to Encompass the Strategic Planning Concept: Introducing a Newer Paradirm." Planning for Higher Education 13, 3 (Spring 1985): 13-20.
Cope, Robert Strategic Policy Planning. Littleton, Colo.: Ireland Educational Corporation, 1978.
Groff, Warren. "Strategic Planning for the 'Third Wave.... Paper presented at a Futurists International Meeting, Washington D.C. Spring 1983. (ERIC #ED 233 651).
Lilly, Edward. "Boards of Education and System-wide Strategic Planning."
ERIC #248 613.
Masuda, Yorieji. The Information Society as Post-Industrial Society, Tokyo, Japan: Society for the Information Society, 1980.
McCune, Shirley D., et al. "Strategic Planning." Learning Trends 1, 7 (February 1984).
Morrison, James. "Futures Research and Strategic Planning Process: Implications for Long Range Planning." ERIC #245 587.
Paine, Frank, and Carl Anderson. Strategic Management. New York: CBS College Publishing, 1983.
Perelman, Lewis J. "The Value of Business Intelligence." Strategic Performance Services, P.O. Box 5500, McLean, VA 22103, 1982.
Phi Delta Kappa Commission on Schooling for the 21st Century. Handbook for Conducting Future Studies in Education. Bloomington, Ind.: Phi Delta Kappa, 1984.
Pfeiffer, J. William, Leonard D. Goodstein, and Timothy M. Nolan. Understanding Applied Strategic Planning: A Manager's Guide. University Associates, Inc., 8517 Production Ave., San Diego, CA 92121, 1985.
Public Technology, Inc. Alliances for Strategic Action. Washington D.C.: Public Technology, Inc., 1983, Rothschild, William. Putting it All Together: A Guide to Strategic Thinking, American Management Associates, 1976.
Steiner, George A. "Strategic Managerial Planning." Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
Steiner, George A. Strategic Planning: What Every Manager Must Know. New York: The Free Press, 1979.
Tregoe, Benjamin B, and John W. Zimmerman. Top Management Strategy.
New York: Simon & Schuster, Inc., 1980.
GUIDE TO ST_ TEGIC PLANNIN FOR EDUCATORSUnited Way of America. Strategic Management and United WayA Guideline Series. Strategic Planning Division, 701 North Fairfax St., Alexandria,
VA 22314-2045, 1985. Booklets in the series include:
1. Strategic Management and United Wcy. An overview of the strategic process, including process steps, benefits, costs, and how to get started.
2. Environmental Analysis. How to do environmental analysis. Discusses use of environmental,...anning, environmental monitoring, and scenario development to define external threats to and opportunities for the organization.
3. Organizational Assessment. How to assess the organization's internal strengths arid weaknesses and its competitive position by looking at both resources and operations. Reviews methods for organizational assessment, including comparative analysis, analysis of performance history, self-assessment, surveys, interviews, and focus groups.
4. Strategic Direction. How to use data from environmental analysis and organizational assessment to review the mission, set objectives, and identify strategic issues critical to the organization.
5. Strategic Plan. How to document specific courses of action and define how the organization is going to fulfill its mission and objectives in dealing with critical issues.
6_ Implementation, How to organize and motivate people to carry out a strategic plan.
7. Performance Evaluation. How to compare actual results with anticipated or desired results of the strategic process. How to keep implementation on target by adjusting strategies, resources, and timing.
8. Case Studies. This volume will follow publication of booklets 1-7 and will review the experiences of pilot United Ways in using the strategic management process.
United Way of America. What Lies AheadA Mid-Decade View: An Environmental Scan Report. Alexandria, Va.: United Way of America, 1985.
Vaill, Peter. "Strategic Planning for Managers." National Training Lab Managers' Handbook.